Non-resident Refund of City Taxes Withheld

Due to COVID-19 many taxpayers worked from home, but still had taxes withheld from their paychecks based on the location of their place of employment.

As a result, they had taxes withheld from a locality where they did not work.

Kentucky will allow you to request a refund of taxes withheld by a county and/or city where you did not work. You would be required to pay taxes if you lived in a county and/or city that assesses a tax on wages earned in that locality.

Due to a lawsuit and pending appeal in Columbus and Cincinnati, Ohioans who worked from home during the COVID-19 pandemic can request a refund of local taxes, but until the appeals process is completed, these refund request will not be processed.

If you believe that you may qualify for a non-resident refund of city taxes withheld because you worked from a residence that has no tax or a lesser tax rate than your work location, you may want to file a refund request. You have up to three years from the due date to request a refund.

If you would like more information, or assistance with the refund process, contact your Rudler, PSC advisor at 859-331-1717.

RUDLER, PSC CPAs and Business Advisors

This e-Tip is presented by Jane Frances, CPA.

If you would like to discuss your particular situation, contact Jane at 859-331-1717.


As part of Rudler PSC’s commitment to true proactive client partnerships, we have encouraged our professionals to specialize in their areas of interest, providing clients with specialized knowledge and strategic relationships. Be sure to receive future Rudler articles for advice from our experts,  sign up today !

Posted in Uncategorized.